Thursday, November 5, 2009

Giddy Handspun


Giddy
Originally uploaded by flyngmunky

I finally got a chance to photograph the latest offering from my spinning wheel. I'm very excited about this one because it's the result of my first attempt at thread-plying. I also threw in some coils for good measure. (I think there's going to be a fair amount of experimentation for me in the coming months.)

This yarn started its life as a beautiful blue-faced Leicester (BFL) roving that I purchased on Etsy from Color Craze Fiber. She's offering some really beautiful colorways, and I'm sure I'll be visiting her shop again and again. I know that merino is very popular. I've spun with it a great deal myself. But, I am a huge fan of BFL. It's very easy to spin, and it is super soft (softer than merino, I find) with a subtle, natural sheen. Could be my favorite fiber to spin.


Giddy
Originally uploaded by flyngmunky


I have to admit that thread-plying was a little more of a challenge than I expected. The masters make it look so easy. But I'm pretty pleased with the very imperfect result. So pleased that I'm anxious to knit this up into something super funky for myself. The problem now is figuring out what it wants to be. We'll see . . .

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails